Prince William spoke out on Wednesday to offer his support for an investigation into Martin Bashir’s infamous BBC’s Panorama interview with his mother, the late Princess Diana, in 1995.
“The independent investigation is a step in the right direction,” William said, according to Daily Mail. “It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time.”
This came after the BBC announced that former Supreme Court judge Lord Dyson had been named as the head of the probe into claims of forgery, deceit and cover-up surrounding Bashir’s interview with Diana. The journalist has been accused of peddling 32 lies and vile smears to coerce the vulnerable royal into doing an interview with him.
When she finally did sit down with Bashir, Diana famously said, “there were three of us in this marriage,” referring to Prince Charles cheating on her with his now-wife Camilla Parker Bowles. She also admitted to cheating on Charles with army captain James Hewitt.
The interview was watched by 23 million people and led to the Queen demanding that Charles and Diana divorce immediately. Their divorce was finalized in 1996, and Diana was killed one year later in a car crash in Paris, France at the age of 36. The accident occurred after she had lost her royal protection officers due to her divorce.
“Well of course this is in part about protecting his mother’s legacy, so it is a very personal matter for William,” a source close to William said. “He has kept a close eye on what’s unfolded but believes things are moving in the right direction. The BBC has kept him informed appropriately. In the end, what he wants is the same as everyone else – for the truth to be unearthed and any appropriate action taken.”
Lord Dyson has said that he will be starting his probe “straight away” by interviewing corporation staff and having access to available records. He has also pledged to Bashir that this will be a “thorough and fair” investigation after the journalist was shockingly accused of obtaining the trust of Diana by faking two bank statements.
“This is an important investigation which I will start straight away,” he said. “I will ensure it is both thorough and fair.”
This piece originally appeared in UpliftingToday.com and is used by permission.
Read more at UpliftingToday.com:
Details Emerge About How Alex Trebek Spent His Final Hours Before Passing Away At 80
Meghan Markle Panicking As She Realizes She And Harry Are ‘No Longer Golden Couple,’ Royal Expert Claims
‘Family Ties’ Mom Meredith Baxter Reveals Why Her ‘Enormous Breasts’ Were ‘The Plague Of My Life’
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Rob Maness.