Ghislaine Maxwell, the alleged former madam of the late billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, has just gotten a huge offer from prosecutors, who are saying they will drop two perjury charges if she is sentenced for the sex-related crimes she was convicted of last month.
The Hill reported that this comes as Maxwell’s attorneys are arguing that she should be given a new trial after one of the jurors in her case told reporters that he had been a victim of sexual assault as a child, something he did not disclose during jury selection. Maxwell is facing up to 65 years in prison after being convicted at the end of last month on five out of six charges related to her allegedly grooming young girls for sex with Epstein, and sometimes participating in the abuse herself.
Prosecutors sent a letter to Judge Alison Nathan on Monday saying that it will dismiss two perjury counts against Maxwell if her motions for a new trial are denied. Maxwell is facing two counts of perjury related to a 2016 deposition that she gave as part of a defamation filed by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, Epstein’s former sex slave. A trial for these charges has yet to be set, and the government said in the letter that it is ready to drop the two charges “in light of the victims’ significant interests in bringing closure to this matter and avoiding the trauma of testifying again.”
Maxwell, however, seems to not be having any of it and is showing no interest in striking a deal. Her attorneys asked the court to delay establishing a schedule for sentencing “because there is a compelling basis for the Court to overturn Ms. Maxwell’s conviction and grant her a new trial based on the disclosure of Juror #50 during deliberations,” referring to the juror who admitted to being a sexual assault victim.
Maxwell’s lawyers also argued that forcing the 60 year-old to take part in the Presentence Investigation Report, which helps the court figure out a sentence, while waiting for a response to her motion for a new trial would “adversely impact her Fifth Amendment rights.” They added that any scheduling for perjury counts “should be deferred until the post-trial motions are resolved.”
While prosecutors do not want Maxwell to get a new trial, they asked the judge to launch an investigation into what led to a sexual assault victim being able to get on the jury. It remains to be seen how this all will play out for Maxwell.